Tuesday, April 5, 2011

MY PICK!! Coffee Ice Cream Tart


It's here!  It's here!  My pick is finally here!!  When I joined Tuesdays with Dorie back in June 2009, my pick seemed a million miles away.  Over the last year and a half, I've pretty much taught myself how to bake, and Tuesdays with Dorie has been a huge part of my journey.  It pushes me to bake outside my comfort zone and to try recipes that I never would have chosen on my own -- ie:  le blanc-manger.

So for my big day, I chose the Coffee Ice Cream Tart.  I've probably skimmed through Dorie's cookbook a thousand times, and I never once noticed this recipe until my turn came around.  I tend to gravitate towards the ones with pictures. :)

I am soooo happy that I found this one!  I'm not just saying this because it was my pick, but the Coffee Ice Cream Tart is definitely one of my absolute favorite Dorie recipes!  I loved the coffee-almond flavor combo.  It reminded me dipping biscotti into a big cup of coffee.


Happy Husband hijacking my photo-taking.  So cute.  :)
 My only issue with this tart was a bit of a catch-22.  The crust was frozen along with the ice cream, so it became pretty impenetrable with a fork.  But if I let the crust thaw a bit, then the ice cream melted too much.  We ended up either chiseling away at the crust or picking it up and biting directly into it.  It doesn't really matter though, because once it was in our mouths, we forgot about how it got there.


The recipe is a bit time consuming (with the repeated freezings), but it's pretty easy to follow.  Plus, I love when Dorie includes store-bought goodies. In this case, the filling included "premium-quality coffee ice cream."  Of course, there are some delicious extras added to it -- almond extract, nutmeg and almonds ground into a paste. 



Note:  make sure the crust is completely cooled before you add the ice cream mixture.  I got a little antsy and poured in the ice cream a bit too soon... big mess.

We had our friends, Jeff and Lisa, over for dessert after an awesome dinner at the Wright restaurant in the Guggenheim Museum.  They are some of my most devoted blog fans, so they understood the importance of this recipe for me!  And come to think of it, my freestyle chocolate design is a little Kandinsky-esque!

Hello Jeff and Lisa!

Coffee Ice Cream Tart - (Dorie Greenspan, Baking, From My Home to Yours)

For the Crust
1 cup (4 ounces) toasted slivered or sliced blanched almonds
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup (packed) light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
pinch of salt
1/2 stick (4 tbsp) cold unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces)
1 large egg
1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped

For the Filling
1 cup (4 ounces) toasted slivered or sliced blanched almonds
1 quart premium-quality coffee ice cream
1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract or 1 tablespoon amaretto
pinch of freshly grated nutmeg

2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped, for decoration

To Make the Crust
Lightly butter a 10- or 11- inch fluted tart pan and line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.

Put the almonds, flour, sugar, nutmeg and salt in a food processor and pulse for about 10 seconds, or until the nuts are coarsely chopped.  Toss in the pieces of butter and pulse until the dough resembles coarse meal.  Add the egg and extract and continue to pulse until the dough forms clumps and large curds, about 10 seconds.  Turn the dough out into the tart pan and wipe out the processor.  (You'll use it for the filling.)

Press the dough evenly over the bottom and up the sides of the tart pan.  Freeze for 30 minutes.  (If you'd like, once the dough is frozen, you can wrap the tart pan and keep it in the freezer for up to 2 months.)

Getting Ready to Bake
Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Butter a piece of aluminum foil and press it, buttered side down, snugly into the tart pan; put the tart pan on a baking sheet.  Bake the shell for 20 minutes, then remove the foil.  If the crust has puffed, press down with the back of a fork.  Bake the crust for another 8 minutes or so, or until it is firm and golden. Transfer the pan to a cooling rack. 

Scatter the chopped chocolate over the bottom of the hot crust and use a small icing spatula (or a pastry brush) to spread it even.  Cool the crust to room temperature.

To Make the Filling
Put the almonds in the processor and pulse and process until they form a paste, a minute or two.  Add the ice cream, extract or amaretto and the nutmeg and pulse the machine on and off in quick spurts, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed, about 8 times, or until the ingredients are just blended -- don't process so long that the ice cream melts.  Scrape the ice cream into the tart shell and smooth the top.  Put the tart in the freezer for a least 30 minutes.

To Decorate the Tart
Melt the chocolate in a microwave oven or in a bowl over a pan of hot water.  If you like, put the chocolate in a small piping bag fitted with a very small plain tip (the kind used for writing) and pipe a lattice or a series of zig-zags across the top of the tart.  Or, for a more abstract look, dip the tines of a fork into the chocolate and drizzle the chocolate free-form.

Slide the tart into the freezer to set the chocolate, about 5 minutes, then cover and freeze for at least 4 hours.

21 comments:

  1. What a neat post! Looking forward for more post from you. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing! I really wanted to make it, but I had a lot of birthday baking to do this week. I love coffee ice cream above any other flavor, so as soon as I get a warm spring day, I'm making it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tart is so beautiful. Love your chocolate decoration. I loved that this was such an easy recipe to get creative with

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pick. I really liked it as well. The best picture is guy smiling directly over tart...my husband and sons jump into my pictures all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Looks delicious! I like the random way you decorate your tart too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pick! What happy people eating your tart too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The square tart looks so perfect! I ran out of time and I couldn't make this week's recipe. Looks like it was a great choice.

    (I thought blanc manager was odd too, but I enjoyed trying something different.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. just found your blog! this is so fun! thanks for sharing, looks great!
    -meg
    @ http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pick Jessica! I love your square tart pan. This was one delicious dessert. My tart sliced fine but it was much easier to pick it up and just take a bite!
    Thanks again for a great pick.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved your pick Jessica! Coffee ice cream is among my favorites and I subbed Dorie's crust for an Oreo one. It was perfect! Love the shape of your tart, and it looks like everyone loved it.

    Shane totally does that jumping in pictures thing too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful tart! I love your photos, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So yummy looking! I let other baking get in the way this week, but I think I need to go try this one now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Decorating the top: Or you can just make one big huge mess and call it marbling! lol Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog...very nice of you considering I sort of goofed up your lovely pick. Yours looks spectacular! Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice choice this week. Coffee ice cream is one of my favorites. Your tart, with its drizzle, looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so cool that you got to share your pick with some of your blog's biggest fans! I had that hard crust issue, too, so I want to try this again with a different crust. Fun pick!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You and your husband are super cute! I'm a terrible blog commenter so I never seem to "meet" people until it's their week to host. So glad to finally be reading your blog. :) I had the same issue you did with the too-hard crust, but any week I get to eat ice cream is a good week, right?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very pretty! Sounds delicious too!

    I wonder if you can bake the crust, crumble it up into crumbs, and make a frozen crumb crust instead? Don't know if it will hold together and serve as nicely, but maybe you'll get the same flavors without the rock-hard crust?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks so pretty!! It was a fun make. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so sorry I had to do a re-wind, but I could never have made anything as beautiful as the tart you created! Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an amazing looking tart!! YUMMY

    ReplyDelete
  21. Okay, let's get to the important things first -- you're husband 'hijacking' your photo. You're right -- it's very cute.

    And you're also write about your tart having a Kandinsky-esque look. I loved the way it looked and I'm so glad that you and your friends liked it.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! It makes me feel like I'm not just writing to myself. :)